TikTok has easily become one of the most popular social media platforms today, not just for the younger generation but also for the older crowd.
Among the many appeals of TikTok are its high audience engagement and broader content discoverability — and the comments section on TikTok can bring so many opportunities for brands.
The Value of TikTok Comments
There’s no denying that comments are valuable. Not only do they show that people are actually paying attention to your content, but they can also help boost your reach and engagement.
It also goes without saying that the more comments you have, the higher you’ll rank in TikTok’s algorithm. But TikTok has raised the bar for audience engagement: it has the feature that allows users to reply with video comments. The effect of this is two-fold:
- As a brand, you get more visibility for your content.
- As a user, it makes them feel seen that you curated your content based on their comment.
Additionally, when brands reply to comments on their posts or related content, this creates a whole new level of authentic engagement. It’s a good way to build brand awareness.
It’s also important to note that while Instagram Reels also offers more or less the same features (i.e., the ability to make video responses), TikTok’s algorithm works differently. Popular TikTok comments also gain a significant amount of likes, even reaching thousands to millions, which is a far cry from what you would typically achieve with Instagram’s algorithm.
7 Ways to Maximize TikTok Comments
Here are some practical tips on how you can maximize comments on your TikTok content:
1. Use Calls to Action
A call to action (CTA) is a great way to encourage your viewers to leave a comment. Users normally need a subtle nudge to do what you desire, and by asking them directly to leave a comment, you increase the chances of boosting your engagement.
2. Create an engaging caption
As a related point, your caption can also play a big role in encouraging users to leave comments. Write captions that would prompt your viewers to share their thoughts or opinions. However, for TikTok, it’s best to keep your captions short and sweet so it doesn’t cover your content.
3. Proactively listen to your audience
Make it a habit to check the comments section regularly and address any concerns or feedback that your viewers may have. This also ties in with replying to comments, as mentioned earlier. Not only will this make your brand more visible, but you’ll also come across as approachable and responsive — two characteristics that customers always look for in a brand.
4. Take note of what’s trending
TikTok is all about being timely, so make sure to take note of what’s trending and produce content accordingly. This way, you can join in on the conversation and increase your chances of getting comments.
There are three areas you can maximize: trending hashtags and trending music or original audio:
- Hashtags are a great way to get your content seen by more people, and they can also be used to start or join in on a conversation.
- Music, on the other hand, often dictates the mood of a video. Use this to your advantage by picking songs that fit well with your brand image and message.
- Trending original audio can also be a good opportunity to make customers feel seen and appreciated. It’s a fun way to show a more casual image of your brand — if appropriate.
5. Collaborate with other brands or influencers
Team up with other brands or influencers for a chance to be featured on their page and get more eyes on your content. Not only will this help you gain exposure, but it can also lead to more comments. And when done right, collaborations can be a fun way to show off your brand’s personality.
6. Take advantage of user-generated content (UGC)
User-generated content is a great way to show that your brand is being talked about. It also helps create a sense of community around your page. And when it comes to comments, UGC is often more likely to elicit them than other types of content.
7. Curate content for your audience, not the algorithm
This one’s important. At the end of the day, you want to produce content that your target audience will enjoy and engage with — not content that’s solely for the algorithm. When you focus on creating quality content, the comments will come naturally.
3+ TikTok Guides For Beginners
If you’re just getting started on TikTok, or you’re looking for some tips to improve your engagement strategy, then check out our other TikTok guides:
How to Pin Comments
Pinning comments ensures that your most important comment is seen first. Here’s how to do it:
On your TikTok comment section, press and hold the comment, then tap “Pin comment” on the popup menu.
NOTE: You can only pin one comment at a time. To replace the pinned comment with a new one, simply select the next new comment, then tap “Pin and replace.” The same method is used for unpinning comments.
How to Reply with Video Comments
Video responses are a fun way to connect with your audience and add some personality to your replies. Here’s how to do it:
Select the comment you want to respond to, then tap “Reply.” Select the record button located at the bottom left of the screen. Once you’re done recording your response, tap “Post.”
How to Moderate Comments
Comment moderation is a necessary step to ensure that your comments section remains clean and safe for everyone. There are a few ways to do it:
- Adding comment filters: From your profile, go to the 3-line icon at the top right → “Settings and Privacy” → “Privacy” → “Comments.” You can either select automatic filtering of spam and offensive comments or use specific keywords.
- Manually deleting comments: Select the comment you want to delete, then select “Delete.” You can do this one by one or delete multiple comments at once. You can select a maximum of 100 comments to mass-delete.
- Reporting comments: On your comment section, press and hold the comment, then tap “Report.” From there, you can choose whether to report the comment as spam, inappropriate, or both.
Boosting Your Social Media Engagement Strategy
There’s so much value in increasing the quality of comments on your TikTok content, as well as on any other kind of social media platform. The key is to be proactive and creative with your approach, all while keeping the interests of your audience in mind.
If you want to learn more about social media marketing, head on to our blog at https://ilfusion.com/blog.